Job title: Project Assistant
Type of Contract: 31 August 2023
No. of Posts: 1
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Closing Date for Applications: 28 February 2023
The Roma Education Fund’s (REF) mission and goal is to close the gap in educational outcomes between Roma and non-Roma. To achieve this goal, the organization supports policies and programs that ensure quality education for Roma, including the desegregation of education systems, through scholarships, grant making, research and advocacy activities. The objectives of Roma Education Fund include:
- Expanding Romani children’s access to quality early childhood education and care;
- Improving primary education outcomes for Romani children aged six to fourteen;
- Boosting academic performance and graduation rates for Romani students in secondary education;
- Supporting access to tertiary education, improving graduation levels and strengthening identity of Romani university students;
- Expanding employment opportunities for young Romani adults.
The project „Employment Empowerment of Young Roma – phase II“ commenced in January 2019. The project seeks to continue, and intensify the efforts aimed at improving education and employment opportunities of young and adult Roma in Serbia, set in the first phase of the project that has been implemented from 2016 until 2019.
The overall objective of the project „Employment Empowerment of Young Roma – phase II“ is to support the social inclusion of Roma in Serbia by increasing the completion rate of secondary education Roma students and facilitating their transition into the labor market by increasing their professional competencies through a series of activities implemented within three project components: education, employment, and reintegration of Roma returnees.
Activities covered by the project include, but are not limited to, support to Roma secondary education students, providing support to Roma individuals in retraining, vocational training and attending in-demand skills and language courses, providing paid internships for successful Roma graduates, and facilitating employment through cooperation agreements with employers from the private, public, non-governmental and international sectors. Moreover, the project aims to provide specific support to young Roma returnees and their families through a grant scheme implemented in cooperation with local partners throughout Serbia.
The Project is supported by the German Financial Cooperation Program implemented by the German Development Bank KfW on behalf of the Government of the Republic of Germany – Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development and implemented in Serbia.
Outline of the position:
We are looking for an agile, responsible, motivated, and dedicated person to join and support our team in the administrative-technical implementation of the project by ensuring the smooth performance of all administrative and organizational tasks.
The Project Assistant will work as part of a dynamic project team and in close collaboration with other staff within the organization as needed.
The position is open for the duration of the project (until August 2023). The selected candidate will sign a full-time fixed-term contract of employment for the duration of the project.
The incumbent will be based in Belgrade and will perform their duties in the premises of the Foundation.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the Project Manager, the Project Assistant will provide administrative-technical and organizational support in the implementation of the project. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following tasks:
- Collecting and managing all program data and information through the creation of a program database; Assisting in creating project information and distributing it to relevant institutions, partners, stakeholders and the media;
- Answering incoming phone calls, providing information about REF and its partners via email and telephone, answering questions regarding the Program; Cooperation and communication with relevant institutions and non-governmental organizations in the region;
- Maintaining contacts of all project stakeholders;
- Keeping records of all inbound and outbound correspondence: maintaining a central log of all inbound and outbound official correspondence in accordance with REF procedures; ensuring the proper routing of correspondence; ensuring that outgoing mail is properly dispatched;
- Organizing a complete mailing system and keeping records;
- Organizing travel logistics (transport, accommodation, travel requests and complaints, etc.); Organizing travel and project related events (including travel patterns and cost reimbursement);
- Assistance in the organization of meetings and events, including the preparation of premises: making reservations for conference/meeting rooms; ensuring that the conference room/meeting room is prepared and materials are in place;
- Drafting/responding to official correspondence regarding administrative topics at the request of the Program Manager and other project staff; Direct communication with the program manager;
- Assisting local coordinators and field monitors in administrative work;
- Assisting in the preparation of periodic management reports on the project, finances, expenditures and budget;
- Assisting the REF program manager and members of the REF governing body in signing contracts with all partners and releasing payments (beneficiaries, local partners, associates, external consultants); Supporting the process of preparing the documents required for bookkeeping and accounting;
- Maintaining necessary office supplies and preparing procurement requests; acting as a key point for office supplies requirements; preparation of the documentation required for the procurement request;
- Performing other tasks as required.
- A. in administration, organizational sciences, social sciences or other related discipline; or secondary education supplemented by a formal training or studies in administration or project management. Other formal and non-formal education (training, certification, etc.) that is in line with the requirements and description of the position and that can complement the basic compulsory education requirements will be considered as added value.
- At least two years of relevant experience in project administration and/or office management; Previous experience in working with the CSOs, international organizations and/or in supporting the implementation of projects in the field of education, employment, minority affairs and other related areas, as well as experience in procurement will be considered an advantage;
- Computer literacy with practical experience in Microsoft Office applications. Experience in using other digital tools will be considered an asset;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Serbian. Knowledge of Romani language will be considered an advantage;
- Strong organizational skills and attention to details;
- Ability to clearly set deadlines and effectively manage multiple tasks at once;
- Ability and willingness to work with the people of different nationalities, cultural and religious backgrounds and diverse views while maintaining impartiality and objectivity;
Compensation: Commensurate with experience.
How to apply:
This position is open only for candidates with the citizenship of or permanent residence in the Republic of Serbia. Interested candidates who meet the criteria set out in the Call for Applications are invited to apply for the position electronically by sending their CV and Cover Letter (both in English) to email@example.com no later than 28 February 2023 with the subject line: Project Assistant – KfW.
All received applications will be subject to a thorough administrative check. Applications submitted after the specified deadline, incomplete applications (missing CV and/or Cover Letter), as well as applications submitted in languages other than English will not be considered.
Only candidates whose applications meet the above listed administrative requirements and the criteria set out in the Call will be considered for the next step in the selection process. The selection process will consist of a written test and a competency-based interview. Candidates selected for the written test will be notified of the date and time of the test in a timely manner.
Roma Education Fund is an equal opportunities employer.
3 marta, 2023